The foothills of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, the highest coastal mountain in the world, plunge into the sea like the fingers of a gigantic hand forming beautiful bays and coves: Chengue, Gayraca, Cinto, Neguanje, Concha, Guachaquita, with their sandy white beaches surrounded by mangrove swamps, bushes and forests and bathed in the crystal clear water of the Caribbean sea, are all part of the many attractions in Tayrona National Natural Park. For those seeking contemplation and rest, the Park offers magnificent beaches and the relaxing panorama of an intensely blue sea. For those seeking more exiting activities, walking, snorkeling and diving are additional attractions. The Park also has archeological ruins of an ancient city of the Tayrona people.
What to take
- Cool cotton clothes, a bathing suit, pants and long-sleeve shirts for protection form insects and branches that can scratch the skin and from the sun.
- Resistant and adequate footwear to protect your ankles and water resistant shoes for the beach areas.
- Hat, cap, sunglasses and a light rain jacket for the rainy season.
- Identity documents and a valid health insurance card.
- There are less snakes in the Caribbean than in the Pacific region, nevertheless, it is best to take an all-purpose antivenom, that must be applied by a doctor according to the recommendations of the Colombian National Serpentarium.
- Park hours are from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Be vaccinated against yellow fever 10 days before the planned date of your trip and carry your immunization records.
- There is an obligatory environmental education introductory talk.
- Please respect the shower schedule and use water efficiently.
- For your safety, find out which places are safe for swimming and swim only in permitted areas.
- Make sure the tourism guide is certified if hiring one.
- When using boats, make sure there are life vests on it.
- Entry of plastic bags and polystyrene objects is restricted.
- Entry of musical instruments is restricted.
- Entry of pets is restricted.
- Entry of alcoholic beverages is restricted.
- Entry of surfing boards is restricted.
- Please take the garbage you have produced during your stay with you (this includes peels, seeds or other vegetable or animal waste); not paying attention to this measure deteriorates the environment and can cause illnesses for the wildlife and flora.